Runner, Triathlete and Duathlete
Lucy Smith is a nineteen time Canadian champion in running, duathlon and triathlon. She is a two time World Duathlon Championships Silver Medallist and is one of Canada’s most versatile endurance athletes with unparalleled results over a wide range of distances and disciplines.
Since participating in her first fun run at age eleven, Lucy has developed her athletic career into a passionate full-time and life long pursuit of excellence that has been rewarded with countless podium finishes at international triathlon, duathlon and running competitions. Lucy has excelled over a range of events from track 5000m and 10,000m, 10k road, cross country running, bike time trial, duathlon, Olympic distance triathlon, ½ Ironman, ½ marathon, marathon, and Ironman triathlon.
Always a leader, she has been appointed captain of many national teams and began coaching in 1997. Lucy’s success over different disciplines means that she is now a widely recognized and respected athlete and personality in the athletic and personal wellness communities.
In the 2006 season, since returning from the birth of her second child Ross in 2005, Lucy won a second Silver Medal at the World Duathlon Championships, and added three more National wins to her resume: Canadian Duathlon Championships, Canadian 10k Championships and Canadian Half Marathon Championships. She also took on Ironman Canada, finishing in 8th place.
Lucy’s involvement in sport goes beyond training and racing. Lucy is now a nationally recognized sport leader and spokesperson:
- Lucy coaches and mentors athletes (she worked with the 2006 World Junior Triathlon Champion).
- As Board Member of Pacific Sport Victoria, Lucy represents a large portion of Canada’s Summer Olympians training in BC.
- She is an enthusiastic and polished motivational speaker who regularly presents to the corporate world and the athletic community- Lucy did 22 engagements in 2006.
- She writes on the topics of sport, training and sport- experience in major journals such as Cooking Light, HerSport, Impact, Inside Triathlon, Impact, Transitions, Triathlete, Australian Triathlete.
She balances this with parenting her two children Maia (7) and Ross (2). Through her dedication to excellence, teamwork, quality, personal best and life-fulfillment, Lucy continues to compete and find joy twenty years into her commitment to racing at the international level. This engaged experience in sport has allowed her to gain valuable insight into what sustains and motivates personal excellence.
Lucy trains at PacificSport in Victoria, British Columbia, and is coached by her husband, Olympic Gold Medal Triathlon coach Lance Watson.
Athletic Career Highlights
- Silver Medallist, ITU Duathlon World Championships: 2006 and 1996
- 6 Time Canadian 10K Road Running Champion: 2006, 2004, 1998, 1997, 1996, 1995
- 5 Time Canadian Cross-Country Champion: 1997, 1992, 1991, 1989, 1988
- Canadian Long Distance Triathlon Champion: 2007
- Canadian 10 000m Champion: 2004 Canadian Half Marathon Champion: 2006
- 5 Time Canadian Duathlon Champion: 2006, 2003, 2002, 2001, 1998
- 5km: 15:40
- 10kM: 32:57
- 1/2 marathon: 1:13
- Marathon: 2:38
- B.Ed. University of British Columbia (1997)
- B.A. Dalhousie University, Halifax (1990)